Family Shields
 
Big Boots
 

The Town Trail

Wentworth car park to Hadrian House


Back 1 .. 2 .. 3 .. 4 .. 5 Next
  Select Download 'Map pdf' for map & trail information  
THE TOWN TRAIL
- ESSENTIAL HEXHAM
- TRAIL A
- TRAIL B
- TRAIL C
- TRAIL D
- Map pdf (351kb)
- Map pdf (154kb)

HOME

W3C XHTML 1.0
W3C CSS

1. Wentworth Car Park Formerly the horticultural nurseries of William Fell and Co., Royal Warrant holders. The Tourist Information Centre is located near the top of the car park.

2. The Grammar School Founded in 1599 it moved into this building around 1684, from 1902 this became a private house. It now houses Council offices.

  The Grammar School

Old Gaol

3. Old Gaol This is the earliest recorded purpose-built gaol in England, built in 1330 to house the Archbishop of York's prisoners. It eventually became the office of the Lord of the Manor. Today it houses a museum.

 

4. Moothall This gatehouse controlled entry to the enclosure of the Archbishop of York's Bailiff and staff, who lived and worked here. The Moot hall includes a courtroom and hall. Today it is used for local events and art displays.

  Moothall
The Shambles

5. Market Place Until the mid-19th Century it was much smaller. Beaumont Street did not exist and there were smaller buildings in front of both the Abbey and the Moot hall. The Hexham Riot took place here in 1761, resulting in the fatal shooting of about fifty people. The Shambles was built in 1766 as a covered area for market business. Market day is Tuesday.

 

6. Market Street Numbers 20 and 22, on the south side, are typical 17th Century houses and were originally thatched with heather.

  Market St
Hadrian House

7. Hadrian House This grand house was converted into a chapel in 1839 by Wesleyan Methodists. The main post office was here from 1887 to 1963. It now houses local council offices.

      
 
Back 1 .. 2 .. 3 .. 4 .. 5 Next
 
Next