Family Shields
 
Big Boots
 

The Town Trail

The Seal to St Mary's Church


Back 1 .. 2 .. 3 .. 4 .. 5 Next
 
small map
 
THE TOWN TRAIL
- ESSENTIAL HEXHAM
- TRAIL A
- TRAIL B
- TRAIL C
- TRAIL D
- Map pdf (351kb)
- Map pdf (154kb)

HOME

W3C XHTML 1.0
W3C CSS


16. The Seal or Sele A popular picnic and play area that was opened to the public in 1753 by Sir Walter Calverley Blackett who laid out walks and planted trees. It was given to the town by one of his successors as Lord of the Manor. The land once belonged to Hexham Priory, and was probably farmed.

17. Hexham House Built in 1723 as a fine private residence. It was enlarged in the early 19th Century. A school in the 1920s, it is now used as local council offices.

18. The graveyard The original graveyard for the town. Burying victims of contagious diseases such as cholera in a graveyard at the top of the hill, and close to the market, contributed to the terrible state of health of local people in the 19th Century. The problem was partly addressed by the setting up of a new cemetery outside the town to the west in the 1850s. The remaining gravestones give a glimpse of some of the local names and trades.

 

19. Abbey and Parish Church of St Andrew Originally founded by St Wilfrid in the 7th Century as an abbey, most of the building dominating the town belongs to the Priory church of the 12th Century. The east end was rebuilt in 1860, the nave between 1907 and 1908. St Wilfrid’s crypt, dating from the 7th Century, is reached from the current nave. It was here that relics of various saints, including those brought back from the Continent by Wilfrid, would have been displayed.

 
Hexham Abbey
 

20. Beaumont Street Built across the garden of Abbey House in 1866 by the owner of the land, W B Beaumont. On the east side is a fine group of Victorian buildings. The land opposite was later sold to the town and laid out as the park now known as the Abbey Grounds.

21. Queen's Hall Completed in 1866 as the Town Hall and Corn Exchange, by the 1920s it contained a dance hall and the Queen’s Hall cinema. It was saved from demolition in 1975 and re-opened as the Queen’s Hall Arts Centre with a library, arts rooms, theatre and gallery.

22. Hexham Community Church Originally the Primitive Methodist Church, completed in 1909. Hexham’s first auction mart was built on this site in 1870.

23. St Mary's R C Church Built in 1830, it has an attractive 'gothick' interior. Outside is a cross that commemorates the re-interment from Dilston Hall of some of the members of the Radcliffes of Derwentwater. The Radcliffes were a local Catholic family who owned Dilston Hall. They were related to the Stuart family. James Radcliffe and his brother Charles lost their heads for their parts in the failed 1715 and 1745 Jacobite Risings.

      
 

Back 1 .. 2 .. 3 .. 4 .. 5 Next
 
Next